Tulsa Divorce Attorney
Tulsa Divorce Information
How to change your name after a divorce in Tulsa

change your name after a divorceIf you are considering a divorce, you may also be wondering if you can change your name after a divorce in Tulsa.  Changing your name after divorce in Tulsa is simple, if you do it as part of your divorce, but it may require more effort on your part if you do it after your divorce is completed.

If you took your spouse’s surname when you got married, there are a number of reasons why you may want to continue to use your former spouse’s surname after a divorce in Tulsa.

For example, you may be concerned how a name change will affect your children, or you may not want to lose the professional goodwill you have established with your current surname. On the other hand, you may feel that you need to restore your previous surname for a fresh start.

Change Your Name After a Divorce in Tulsa

If you desire to return to using your previous surname or birth name, you may do so by requesting that the judge who presides over your divorce enter a formal order to restore your previous surname.

If this order is entered into your divorce decree, that is all you need to do. However, if your name change is not entered into your divorce decree, you can still return to your previous surname, especially if it is the name listed on your birth certificate.

You can simply change the surname listed on your identification cards and personal documents, and begin to use your previous surname in a consistent manner. However, you may want to file for an official name change to head off any complication and to make it clear that the name you are using is your legal name, especially if you were married for many years.

Tulsa Family Law Attorney: Free Consultation

To find out how the Divorce of Tulsa Law Office can assist in your Tulsa family law matter, call us today.

Alternately, send the Tulsa divorce lawyer a question using the “Ask a Lawyer” form on this page. Enter your e-mail address or phone number and we’ll get in touch as soon as possible.

For a free, confidential consultation, call now: (918) 924-5526.